Friday, August 28, 2015

Homemade Healthy Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Good morning cupcakes!

Yesterday I was in the mood to make something fall related. The weather here in Indiana has felt like fall all week. I decided on trying to make healthy pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Let me first start off by saying the recipe is not perfect yet, but it if you are looking to fix some pumpkin cravings these are definitely healthy and I have some tweaks to the recipe if you like things sweeter. So here is the recipe I used:

16 oz of almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
2 T of ground flax seeds
3 T cinnamon
-Mix these dry ingredients in a bowl. If you want these a little sweeter, you could add 1/4 c coconut sugar to the dry ingredients. 
-In another bowl, mix:
2/3- 1 c pumpkin, warmed * I would probably use 1 c to make the dough a little more sticky so it doesn't break when you roll it up
1/4 c unsweetend cashew milk, warmed
3 eggs
3 T melted coconut oil
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. If dough is too dry you can add more cashew milk until it reaches a dough consistency. 
-Spread dough out on parchment paper.
-In another bowl, mix:
3 T melted coconut oil
1/2-1 c unsweetend shredded coconut
1/2 -1 c raisins 
2-3 T cinnamon
* you could also add 1/2 c coconut sugar here if you want the cinnamon rolls sweeter
-Sprinkle this mixture ontop of the rolled out dough.
-Roll the dough up so it is in one big log & cut into 12-15 rolls.
-Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes

Frosting:
-2 c raw cashews
-1 vanilla bean
-8-10 dates or 1/4- 1/2 c honey * the variation depends on how sweet you like things
-1/4 c unsweetened cashew milk- you will need to add more 
-coconut oil

In a food processor, add the cashews, dates or honey, vanilla bean, 1/4 c cashew milk, and coconut oil. Process until combined. You will need to stream in more cashew milk to make the frosting more creamy and smooth. I like this by itself! You could also add in the rest of the can of pumpkin if you want the frosting pumpkin flavored.



The verdict on the taste test was pretty good! I don't like my "desserts" super sweet but I can see how others would like to add some honey or coconut sugar to these. I also think the dough was a little dry and cracked when I tried to roll it out. This is why I recommend using the 1 c of pumpkin because I only used 2/3 c. This is the process of how I go about making up my own recipes. It is all about trial and error. Some things turn out awesome the first time, and other recipes take a few times of tweaking to get them perfect! This post was meant to help others not be afraid to experiment in the kitchen. It's fun to see how things turn out and get a little creative. 
Here is the leftover frosting that I added the rest of the can of pumpkin to... let me tell you what... I can eat this just by the spoonful! So good! It was also my first time using real vanilla beans and have fallen in love with the flavor they have!
Stay tuned later today... I have a challenge coming up for all of you!

Later Taters!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious!!!!! I can't wait for the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from readers, so feel free to comment below xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...