Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nutrition 101

Hello!!

I wanted to take the time to write a little about nutrition * (note a bottom of post). If you have a question for me just comment below and I will try to answer it the best I can!

So to get started... I always talk about having a fat, carb, and protein at every meal. These three things are called macro nutrients.

FATS-Of course there are good fats and bad fats. Try to stay away from trans fats. Good kinds of fat are found in things like nuts, coconut, olive oil. My favorite ways to get healthy fat are from avocados, coconut oil, and nut butters (make sure the nut is the only ingredient). I also have been enjoying hemp milk. This has a good kind of fat called omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3's can also be found in salmon and walnuts. Good fats help your body to absorb micro nutrients that I will discuss in a little bit. Healthy fats also give people energy when carbs are not available, help with growth and development, and helps protect your cells.

CARBS-once again, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs come from things sugar, white bread, white rice, candies, etc. Good carbs are things such as sweet potatoes, fruit, and vegetables. Carbs give people energy and help your brain and other vital organs function properly. Carbs help your digestive system due to fiber found in carbs. Have you ever been on a low carb diet? Most of the time when people are on a low carb diet they will be cranky and tired. They will feel like they have less energy.

PROTEIN-Protein is essential for muscles! Protein is needed for growth, tissue repair, preserves lean muscle mass (also helps build lean muscle), helps make hormones and other enzymes, and also used for energy when carbs are not available.

There are also things called micro nutrients. These are things such as vitamin d, vitamin a, iron, and so on.  When trying to add a variety of nutrients to your diet, think about adding the rainbow. For example, add greens to your eggs for breakfast, add carrots to your salad at lunch, make fajitas with multi-colored peppers for dinner. Sodium is also a micro nutrient. Your body does need some sodium to help balance the fluid and pH balance in your body.

Okay so now I will give you my favorite macro-nutrient foods!!

Fats- avocados, coconut oil, homemade cashew butter
Carbs-bananas, really any fruit, eggplant, peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, mushrooms
Protein-chicken, turkey burgers, cilantro lime chicken burgers from Trader Joe's, and eggs

Foods I try to avoid: sugars (check labels... you would be surprised how many foods have sugar. For example: pasta sauce, bacon, bread, drinks, etc.), alcohol, grains, peanuts, beans, & dairy products.

Now the reasons why... first off I completed the Ultra Simple diet last year to figure out where my stomach problems were coming from. This was an elimination diet with a reintroduction phase. I figured out that dairy was a huge NO-NO for me. I am lactose intolerant. Yes, this means I cannot have butter, yogurt, milk, ice cream, most baked goods... this list is pretty long. Grains, peanuts, and beans also make my stomach hurt.

This year I found the Whole30 program and absolutely fell in love with the concept. It is basically a version of a paleo. The foods I try to avoid regularly are all cut out during 30 days. It is amazing how much better your body feels. The Whole30 also has a reintroduction phase to find out how different foods affect your body personally! The Whole30 also helps target unhealthy relationships with food, sluggish metabolisms, disruptive digestive systems, and overactive immune systems. If you want to learn more about the Whole30, visit their website: Whole30 Program's Website .

If you are an athlete or prepping for a show, then counting calories may be alright for you. I think personally, I like to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I like to eat what my body is telling me to eat and when my body tells me to eat. Not counting calories gives me a healthier relationship with food. Meals become more relaxing and enjoyable.

***Now I need your help as readers!!

Please comment on this post and let me know what nutrition or food related questions you would like answered! ***

Today I went to the grocery to pick up a few necessities. I found this tea, and I fell in love at the first sip!


Here was today's workout:

Set 1:
10 burpees
15 bent over reverse flys
15 bench jumps
10-15 chest press
-repeat set for a total of 4 times

Set 2:
8-10 pushups with rotation (go from knees if need be)
10-15 pull aparts with resistance band
15 lying chest press
15 pullovers- engage chest
-repeat set for a total of 4 times

Set 3:
10-15 chest flys
10 burpees
8-10 inclined pushups
10 bench jumps
-repeat set for a total of 4 times

That's all I have for tonight! Goodnight!

Later Taters!

*All of my knowledge has come from nutrition class I took in my undergrad, articles, books, etc. and has accumulated over the past 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from readers, so feel free to comment below xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...