Sunday, December 20, 2015

Recap: food, surgery, & home

Hello cupcakes,

I apologize for being MIA for a few days. I finished my finals for grad school and then drove home to my parents' house. Then I had surgery on Friday (more details to come). 

Let me start this little recap with some food! Thursday morning I made a bomb breakfast. I had two slices of turkey bacon, one dippy egg as I like to call it, and 1/2 of a Paleo waffle with simply fruit jelly. Oh my gosh guys it was heaven! 
 
 

One thing I love about coming home to my parents' house is all the Christmas decorations. It really gets me into the Christmas spirit. My mom's tree is very classy and elegant. 

 
Friday morning before my surgery, I woke up to this beautiful view in our back yard. 
 
 
I had to be to the hospital at 11:45 and my surgery was scheduled for 2:15. I had the exact same surgery on my left foot about a year and a half ago. I will be on crutches for 6 weeks with no weight on my foot and then 6 weeks in a boot. Then eventually physical therapy. If anyone knows me well, they know that this long recovery process is going to drive me crazy. I love being in the gym and working out. I also love being in the kitchen baking and cooking. I am also very independent and I like to do stuff on my own. Not being able to do things on two feet really makes you thankful for having two legs and feet to use daily. I think we take it for granted. Here is a picture of me post surgery. 
 

One thing I did before surgery was prep a bunch of meals. This makes it easy for me to stay on track with my healthy eating. I also did it for my family so heating up meals for me would be easy. Here is one of the meals I prepped:

 
I also prepped some zoats (zucchini oatmeal: recipe at bottom of post), Paleo waffles, and my healthy pizza. Last night my family had a movie night and we watched the Scorch Trials.
 
 
My boyfriend's mom came to visit me yesterday and bought me an adult coloring book! My grandma and grandpa came to visit me yesterday and brought me a bag of fruit. My grandma knows how much I love fruit. My other grandma came to visit me yesterday as well! It's nice to have visitors when you are stuck in a chair all day. My uncle and his girlfriend came to visit me Friday night and we played some games. 

I have set some goals for myself during this recovery process. I will be doing circuit workouts consisting of sit ups, push ups from my knees, and some Pilates moves for legs. I will start these probably a week after surgery once the pain starts going down. 

My other goal is to continue my healthy eating and also eat less since I won't be working out as much. 
 
Zoats: Zucchini Oats
 
Ingredients:
-1 cup gluten free rolled oats
-1 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
-1 cup water
- egg whites
-1 zucchini
-Smucker's Simply Fruit Jelly
 
Directions:
Bring 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water to a boil. Add in the oats and cook on low until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. While the oats are cooking, use a food processor to chop the zucchini into tiny shreds. Once the oats are cooked, scoop half of them into a bowl and half into another bowl (this recipe will make 2 servings). Add 1/2 of the shredded zucchini to each oat bowl. I like to add 5 T. of egg whites to each bowl. Stir to combine ingredients. One bowl at a time, microwave the zoats for 1 minute. Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir. Cook for an additional 1 minute. The egg whites should be cooked by then, but if not you can continue to cook for 30 second intervals. I like to top mine with a spoonful of Smucker's Simply Fruit Jelly.

I am pretty much obsessed with zoats right now. I got the idea from Brittany Dawn's YouTube video. Here is the link: Brittany Dawn's Zoats

Since I will be stuck in a chair for awhile, is there any topics you would like me to cover in some blog posts?

Later Taters

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from readers, so feel free to comment below xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...