I was reflecting on my Whole30 journey so far, and I must say this way of eating feels great. Not eating any type of added sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, artificial sweeteners, honey, etc.) has greatly reduced my cravings. Now when I am hungry I think about nourishing my body instead of just emotionally eating. Not making healthy treats seemed very hard at first, but now fresh fruit sounds so amazing. After I finish my Whole30 I will still continue to eat this way because my body has responded so well. I will allow myself to have a treat for special occasions, but I do not want to rely on treats because personally I use treats to cope with stress.
This is a quote from the Whole30 book:
“It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your ‘struggles’.”
There is some debate on this quote, but the authors explain it here: Sometimes, It Is Hard. I think the overall meaning behind the quote makes sense once the authors explain it.
My food is the exact same thing as yesterday, so I wanted to take some time to write about other things today.
10 things about me you might not know:
1) I love to be outdoors! I love hiking and exploring. I love sunshine and warm weather.
2) I have been working out since I was in middle school.
3) I am getting my master's in clinical mental health counseling and hope to work with kids.
4) I would love to have my own nut butter business. One of my best friends, Emily, and I have always talked about starting our own business. I love trying different combos, and I think my boyfriend loves trying them! Haha!
5) I love cooking and baking for others
6) I have many, many, MANY allergies.
7) I did the Ultra Simple diet (elimination diet) back in December to figure out what was causing my stomach problems. I know when I eat dairy, gluten, and peanuts that I get really BAD stomach problems after. I have never been tested, but food allergies are common in my family. Did you know that human bodies are not made to consume milk or milk products after we are babies? I know that there are pills out there that I could take that would allow me to consume dairy, but why would I want to put that stuff in my body if naturally it cannot process it? I would just rather be healthy and happy.
8) I am a super organized person. My planner is my life in graduate school currently. I make notes for everything, and my closet is organized by color.
9) I love for my apartment to be clean! If it is not clean, I feel like I cannot focus as well. Let's just say messes drive me crazy!
10) I had foot surgery on my left foot last summer, and I will be having surgery on my right foot this winter. It was soooo hard for me not to workout during my six weeks of not putting weight on my foot. So, we will see how this winter goes!
There you go!
If you have questions for me, just let me know! I love hearing from readers.